Friday, June 17, 2005

Lon Silliman forthcoming events

Lon Silliman forthcoming events June

25, Saturday, 1 PM: arise sweet slugabed and see the dew bespangled herb and tree. A Wystan Hugh Auden afternoon. Wander about in dressing gown reading my new book on limestone. Associate with no-one. Smoke Chesterfields and drink cocktails at three and then a nap. Arise: 8 PM

Write “Leave Me Alone” – a sonnet. Tear up same. Amuse myself by looking sadly at the verses written about me by Lon Silliman. To wit:

Auden at Christmas

W.H. Auden
Perhaps the plummest
Said “Of all major poets
Tennyson’s dumbest.”

It was so cold outside
But cozy within.
A nice place to abide
With bitters and gin.

It was the season of hope
Hence reassuring them
That it was a dope
Who wrote “In Memorium.”

But Auden wasn’t a dummy.
And it was Christmas eve.
Right then he felt plummy.
Very soon he would leave.


Auden at Christmas II

W.H. Auden
Very bad
Made a list:
“Boys had:

Botley
Smythe
Thomson
Herbert...”

But at sixty
He only had one
After sherbert.

Then some cigarettes
Several vodka martinis.

It was Christmas eve
For a bit he felt greenly.
Wrote several cruel verses.
Meant none of them meanly.

Then listened to funeral music from “Tristan.”

If there was any meaning,
It appears to have missed him.


And so to bed. Who am I kidding? The change will o’ertake me again.

26, Sunday In bed all day recovering from yesterday. Lon Silliman again I hope. WHAT IF I DON’T CHANGE BACK????? Compose melancholy couplets

I would so love Rae Armantrout
If I had a clue what she’s about.

Alas, I could be post avant
Etc.

“Kant” or a similar word would work….hmmmmm

1 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auden at Christmas looks like half a Christmas tree! Bravo! Bravo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home