Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Last Night

What did I do last night? I am so afraid to look at my Other’s blog.

I dreamt I slept with Gregory Corso.
Not bad but no Apollo’s torso.
“Not me! I cried to Anselm Hollo.
But he just smiled. Said “Follow, follow!”

Where is my volume of Clark Ashton Smith? Ah, here it is.

O Muse, where loiterest thou? In any land
Of Saturn, lit with moons and nenuphars?
Or in what high metropolis of Mars—
Hearing the gongs of dire, occult command,
And bugles blown from strand to unknown strand
Of continents embattled in old wars
That primal kings began? Or on the bars
Of ebbing seas in Venus, from the sand
Of shattered nacre with a thousand hues,
Dost pluck the blossoms of the purple wrack
And roses of blue coral for thy hair?
Or, flown beyond the roaring Zodiac,
Translatest thou the tale of earthly news
And earthly songs to singers of Altair?

I am afraid that again last night – changed utterly into post avant boho wolf and disguised as an Amishman -- I went to the Stolzfus farm up in Millersville and read Clark Coolidge to Amos Stoltzfus again. Poor old fellow thinks I am mad but agrees it’s damn good Amish. He might be right.

Today I found some lines I wrote in that twilight state – as I am changing – neither formalist nor post avant.

I once met Denise Levertov.
I fear I am no better off.

One time I met Kenneth Koch.
He kept staring at my crotch.

In Harlem I met Countee Cullen.
I looked well so he was sullen.

James Dickey.
Was rather icky.

I never met Richard Eberhart
.I find I do not give a fart.

Siegfried Sassoon.
A vile buffon.

Langston Hughes.
I'm not amused.

Hart Crane.
Inane.

Adrienne Rich.
Back off, bitch.

Hope you're leavin'
Wallace Stevens.

And then the lines about Corso above.
And then I found this:

Lament
A whippoorwill trills
On a Millersville hill.
Trilling so sadly
As whippoorwills will.
And the breeze it blows madly
Past a forlorn windmill
I can't say just why
But there is a Big Chill.

In a barn there's
a sad horse named Stoltzfus
There's a creek
Full of ignorant crawfish.
A sad bird, a wild wind
And a lonesome clodhopper.
Oh yes, I should've listened
To Dietrich Bonhoeffer!

Oh, what did I do out there among the Amish!!!!????

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home