Tuesday, July 05, 2005

"I am taking a workshop with Jim Moore on ways to invite the muse into your life."

Not really, of course. That would be hard to imagine but I am reminded of Jim Moore my former company commander.

Jim Moore

Major Moore isn't any more
As he said
Sitting in the Buddha Garden.
Our C.O. 529th MI Company
Fort Hood, Texas
Just off Tank Destroyer Boulevard
And he was our King.

One time, years later, when I went to Thailand
Leaving the airport and flowers everywhere
My cab driver said "It;s the King's Birthday!"
And I felt fine like I was in Fredonia
A comic opera country but with Emerald Buddha
And Jade Buddha and Golden Buddha
And thought of old Major Moore and how
Something had happened to him
When he was in Thailand back then.
Liason to the Air Force
Helping them discover just what 50 miles
Of the Ho Chi Minh trail that they would obliterate that day

Major Moore was a West Point man
And a "I don't wear the ring, anymore." man
Who came back from Thailand with "Pat"
Whose real name was something like Pattypat Pattypat
And who knows what happened it was
Anna and the King of Siam only backward
And she shimmered there in Texas
As he addressed us.

"Men," he said. "Men, I feel that I am
As good as any of you." And paused.
"And that you are as good as me."
And waved his hand at Sergeant Gonzalez
Who said "Company! Dismissed!"
In a wry baritone. One year to retirement.

"Wait," Major Moore said.
"Men, I bought ten copies of this book
"Stranger in a Strange Land" and they'll
Be in the orderly room and I'd like each of you
to read it. And think about it. Dismissed!"

What happened is this.
Our XO was Lieutenant Hanson
A ROTC man from Texas
And a snake.

June in the Buddha Garden.
"Major Moore is no more," Jim Moore said.
Disgraced. Dismissed. Branded.
"Have you ever read Vonnegut?"
And he was gone to -- really -- Fawn Grove Pa.
Where he and Pat had a few kids
And he pondered "The Strawberry Alarm Clock"
And never killed himself.

Lieutenant Hanson was also gone.
Within three months.
During a field exercise someone set up his tent
Right over a nest of copperheads
And he blew off his foot trying to shoot them.

Don't look at me. I didn't do it.

4 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger & said...

Really. It wasn't me.

But our young poets of the current age do need to have their asses drafted so that they don't have to take seminars on how to invite the muse into their life.

Universal Conscription of my fellow School of Quietude poets!

Save the Muse!

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger & said...

Before its too late.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was in the 529th MI company at Fort Hood. I remember a Major Moore and Captain Hansen. Haven't seen any other 529ers; but haven't really looked for any either. I used to work at the LTF. I remember a couple of Mormon 2 Lts. Ben Taylor and Alan? Nicoletta. I remember a Sgt Gonzalez.

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Chuck _P said...

stationed at the 529th Nov 72 thru Nov 73. Maj Moore was always saying to us not-exactly-happy to be here types, 'play the game, gentlemen, play the game.' Tho I grad'd with 93 avg from DLIWC in RU, was tasked with being first (thank you, Sgt Ryan) a barracks orderly. Clean the latrine, mop the floor, etc. Then I was drawn into a group designated Mobile Interrogation Teams, aka MIT. One of our number, SP4 R Blood, liked to wear captain bars (!) while playing the part. Truly a masquerade!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home